Shooting Senior Photos

As Winter rages on here in Michigan I want to take a  moment  to look back to summer!
I love taking photos as a way to document our family life. When my daughter Morgan graduated I decided I would shoot her senior photos. We chose to do them to not only save money, but it was also one of those moments that we wanted to share together!
Here are some tips that helped us through the process of doing our own senior photos.
1.) Pick outfits that are fun!
We went thru her closet to choose her outfits weeks ahead of time in case we needed a few more outfits. She had this dress that was bought for a school dance, but was yet to be worn. We had fun with it in her photos!
Edit 4
2.) Pick a fun location and setting!
We decided to shoot some of her photos at my grandmother’s farm. The house, barn, shed, and fields provided a nice neutral background. Pick locations that have meaning! If you love the place you choose then you will love having that reminder when you look at the photos.
0351
3.) Optimize natural lighting!
Pick morning or late afternoon/evening to shoot your photos. This ensures the sun isn’t directly overhead. We loved the way the evening sun came thru the fields!
3291
3.) Use creative angles!
 Stand on a stool, chair, or ladder to get your perfect shot! My daughter is taller than me so for this pose I wanted to be slightly above her.
0891
4.) Crop & Edit-
There are so many great editing programs that can help you achieve the look you are hoping for! Use them!
Before:
176
After cropping & editing:
17611
5.) Order prints from your preferred source!
I have become very fond of using MPIX to order my prints. I love the color quality and finish of their products!
IMG_20140508_165953_173
6.) Above all else…Have fun! Create memories!
Remember to do what you love! That adds meaning to the experience!

I am not a professional photographer nor do I have a professional camera, but every time I look at her photos I love having the reminder that we created them together.
Thank you for stopping by!
I am sharing this post at…..  Restless Arrow -DIY Show Off - 

15 comments:

  1. Chas, what gorgeous shots of your daughter. I am an Insourcer too. I love creating memories for my family by taking an approach of saving money and remaining intensely involved in the creative process. I think we might be two peas in a creative pod, you and I...lol! Lovely, lovely post. I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and becoming my new follower!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely daughter you have! I love the tip about shooting at her grandparents place. If mine had lived closer I would have loved to do that. Grandma and Grandpa's farm is sold now and it still chokes me up to know that part of our family history is closed. She will treasure those shots someday. Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a lovely week! ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, and beautiful daughter!
    Allie BobeJanuary 22, 2015 at 2:52 PM
    Very Cute idea, I'd love it if you shared this on my link party "Worthwhile Wednesdays" http://www.craftyallieblog.com/2015/01/worthwhile-wednesdays-52.html
    ~Allie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful and how fun that you now have those memories together! Found you at Weekend Retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing I have a senior this year and we homeschool so I just said to my husband...we really should take some senior photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your daughter is gorgeous and the perfect model. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Heather for stopping by and giving me a feature on your wonderful blog!

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous! I did my brother's senior portraits several years ago and it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these! Your daughter is beautiful and so are your photos! Thanks so much for linking up at Talented Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete